Monday, January 19, 2009

Control your impulses, lest they hunt you down and torture you...

Today I spent a great deal of time on the phone (the LANDLINE PHONE) with my cell phone company. Which you can probably guess did not fill my day with puppies and kittens and rainbows. Combine this with the fact that I decided to join my husband in drinking tea this morning rather than coffee, and you will comprehend how woefully inadequate my psyche's fortification was for this ordeal. An ordeal which involved being passed off to at least 3 different individuals, reading long numbers off of boxes (and being told that I'm "breaking up" at least twice - did I MENTION that I was using a LANDLINE PHONE???)

And the upshot of this investment of my time and sanity allowance for the week was that it was neither MY fault nor my phone's fault. Hmmm. I guess that's true, if you overlook that whole Impulse thing, which was definitely my fault. So I was informed that the engineering types would jump right on it and I should have connectivity within oh, say, up to ten business days.

Because that is so reasonable. I just spent nearly two hundred smackaroos on a clever piece of technology that would allow me to speak to my family and text message them in style and comfort (because this is essentially what I do with a cell phone. The dream of surfing the internet was luring and enticing, but not as important as the excellence with which I would be able to carry out my speaking and texting (full keyboard - no more hitting a button 47 times and hoping for the right punctuation, KWIM?) So the idea of not even being able to SET UP THE PHONE for use because the Google servers only connect with the G1 on Tuesdays and Thursdays and never when it's rainy in Seattle and gloomy in Minnesota and rarely when the sun shines in Denver.... the odds, oh the odds.

So about 2 hours after the exhausting landline experience, I tried connecting just for the fun (!) of it. And lo and behold, the sun was in the seventh moon and Jupiter beat up the Google honor student and I got connected. I don't know why, or how, and to be quite honest, it hasn't happened since, but the important thing is I got connected long enough to actually activate the phone. So now I can call, and I can text. Is it enough? Hmmm. Maybe for tonight.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Was that 3 posts in 1 day? I'm so glad you got your phone set up - FINALLY!! :) Have fun!

Scraps of Candy said...

Oh Happy Day - a new (and activated!)toy for Julie.